Dale Burnett

Meetings are the 1st Tuesday of each month at 7pm. No meetings in January or February

The land the Hopkinton Historical Museum is on was deeded from Roswell Hopkins to Samuel Wilson, January 20, 1817. Mr. Wilson built a small building which he used as a store. This part now houses the Hopkinton Library. The front section was built by Zoraster Culver in 1838 or 1839. He and his family lived in the front section and he had a store in the 1817 section of the house.

The front part continued to be living quarters for different families over the next 150 years. Fred Trask owned it when the History of Hopkinton was written by Carlton Sandford in 1902. Some time after the 1902 picture, Mr. Trask added a front porch (picture shown).

Charlie and Margaret Perry raised their family here. Charlie was a milk truck driver and Margaret was related to the very earliest settlers of Hopkinton. Then it was owned by Gene Rawson.

In 1985 the Hopkinton Historical Group and the Hopkinton Town Board bought this building with a grant from “America the Beautiful”. Over the last twenty years, the Group has made many “updates” to make the house as close to what an 1850 house might have been like. They were fortunate enough to purchased some furniture that had belonged to the founding father, Roswell Hopkins. This summer they intend to get a small building and make a partial reproduction of Chittenden’s store.

It has been the center of activities of Hopkinton for 200 years. In recent years the Historical Group has had the children’s Christmas party here. Other organizations have used it for meetings. It is open two on Sundays in the summer

The back part houses the Town Library which is open several days each week. They have children’s hour for the pre-schoolers, a summer program for the school age children. They also take an active part in the Hopkinton Summer Fest.